Medicine In The Mountains 2021 // Our Upcoming Snow Medical Conference
HAS BEEN POSTPONED when it is safe to travel internationally we will resume
Intrepid Medicine in the Mountains 2021 in Japan has been POSTPONED until it is safe to travel internationally.
We are still taking EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST.
If you are keen to visit Japan when this epidemic is over you can find out more information about what is proposed at the conference HERE.
We keep the numbers small and provide an interactive learning experience in the lecture room and on snow. Expert Japan Backcountry guide with over 10 years experience, Pete Graham will be with us to provide local insight on the snow conditions and skiing in Hokkaido.
All candidates are asked to submit a 15-minute presentation related to one of the conference topics. Focus on interaction and sharing with your colleagues is key. Most attendees will get an opportunity to present.
Your accomodation needs can all be taken care of by experienced Japan Ski Holiday specialists Deep Powder Tours. http://www.deeppowdertours.com/
They can also help you with all your travel requirements getting to and while you are in Japan.
Proposed Medicine in the Mountains Program
Monday to Thursday
Day 1 Monday,
- An Avalanche Incident
- Avalanches types
- Avalanche formation
- Factors involved in Avalanche Accidents
- Avalanche Accident Prevention
- Route Finding
- Decision making
4-6pm Mountain Rescue
- Avalanche rescue and resuscitation
- Hypothermia field management and resuscitation
- Cold Injuries field management and new developments in treatment
Day 2 Tuesday
- Transceiver use and practice
- Companion rescue
- Group rescue
- Snow Sports Injuries Update
- Orthopedic considerations
- Trauma Management in the Austere environment
Day 3 Wednesday
7-9 am Pre Hospital Trauma Scenario
- Wilderness Injury Assessment and Management
- Improvised Litter/Sled Construction
- Package and transport of the injured patient
- Boot and Helmet Removal
- Improvised Splinting
- Altitude illness Prevention and Treatment
- Medical Management on Snow
Day 4 Thursday
- A practical approach to personal and group equipment for the mountain medic
- Improvised shelters
- Summary, Questions and Group Discussion
NOTE: All sessions, times, content and locations are subject to change depending on the local conditions
As with all Intrepid Medical Conferences, we ask each delegate to prepare a 15-minute presentation on a topic of their choice related to the conference content. It doesn’t have to directly be about mountain medicine but it should be fun and interactive.
Our conferences are Sponsor Free. The cost of the conference is not endorsed or subsidised by other companies such as pharmaceuticals. This is a deliberate decision, in order to fit with our philosophy of best-evidenced medicine.