Medicine In The Jungle 2020 POSTPONED // Our Next CME Adventure Holiday
Bukit Lawang, Sumatra 2020
Due to the current worldwide presence of COVID19 we have decided to POSTPONE Jungle Medicine until it is deemed safe to travel internationally
Please let us know if you would be interested in joining us when we resume EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST FORM BELOW
Intrepid Medicine in the Jungle:
A Medical Conference that is more than Education it's an Adventure
A Medical Conference that is more than education it's rejuvenation.
An Adventure that returns you to your workplace relaxed and ready to give your best.
An Adventure Holiday + CME that gives you time to unwind, rewild and reconnect to what's important.
"DARE TO BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
We will be staying in Bukit Lawang, a small village on the edge of the Gunung Leuser National Park.
- Rooms are basic, with mosquito nets, open-air bathrooms and comfortable beds.
- Experience great food and the friendliest people in Sumatra to look after us during our stay.
All delegates and their partners are welcome and included in all activities whilst at Bukit Lawang. Partners are welcome at most conference sessions and are actively encouraged to attend sessions which interest them.
- Transfers to and from Medan airport
- Accommodation 6 nights in Bukit Lawang
- Food - most meals will be provided while staying in Bukit Lawang, lunch will be provided on treks and at Base Camp
- Water refills bring your own reusable water bottle
- Conference for Delegates - medical and non-medical
- Activities for non-delegates
What’s not included
- Personal spending money
- Gratuities for staff, guides, drivers, porters
- Beverages Alcohol, Soft drink, Juice
- Extra activities outside of those covered by the conference
Medicine in the Jungle has been POSTPONED due to COVID19.
We will resume these events as soon as it is safe for us all to travel internationally again.
For more information on Bukit Lawang and the local area check out our host's website
Proposed Program for Medicine in the Jungle Events when we resume
Day 1 Sunday
- Arrive Medan airport
- Pick up by local BL driver to drive to Bukit Lawang
- Stay at Green Hill Guest House ( or other similar accommodation )
- Welcome evening at Green Hill Guest House
Day 2 Monday
- Half day trekking and rafting
- 1:00pm Jungle ecosystems: Wildlife and Human Diseases
"Keeping the Wildlife Wild" - Andrea Molyneaux MScc, MRSB owner of Green Hill Guest House and Kuta Langis Base Camp and holds a Masters Degree in Primate Conservation
- Viruses: Monkeys versus Humans
- Local Population Health: North Sumatra
- 4:00pm Environmental medical hazards in the tropical jungle environment - Dr. Brad Hulcombe FRNZCUC, DiMM
Day 3 Tuesday
- Delegates travel to Base Camp 30min drive
- 10:00am Tropical Medicine
Lunch at Base Camp
- 1:00pm Disaster and Relief Medicine
- Enabling the locals after volcanoes, earthquakes and tsunamis
- 3:00 Return to Bukit Lawang
Partners Day - Village activity - ½ day village walking tour,village becak tour, cooking class, market
Day 4 Wednesday
- All travel to Base Camp
- 10:00am Ethnobotany - natural and local pharmaceutical agents
- a Traditional versus Western perspective
- 1:00pm Tropical Travel Medicine
Day 5 Thursday
- All travel to Base Camp
- 10:00am Jungle Medicine toolkit and trek survival
- 1:00pm What happens when the Doctor gets sick or injured
Return to Bukit Lawang
Day 6 Friday
- Full day trek from Bukit Lawang or Base Camp
- Wilderness Medical Scenarios: recognising traditional medicinal plants,
- Wilderness Medical Scenarios: - getting the injured/ sick person out the of jungle
Day 7 Saturday
- Leave Bukit Lawang
Return transfer to Medan airport
All sessions, times, content and locations are subject to change depending on the local conditions.
We are in the jungle be prepared for last minute changes.
As with all Intrepid Medical Conferences we ask each delegate to prepare a 15 min presentation on a topic of their choice related to the conference content. It doesn’t have to directly be about jungle medicine, but it should be fun and interactive.
Our conferences are Sponsor Free. The cost of the conference is not endorsed or subsidised by other companies such as pharmaceuticals. This is a deliberate decision, in order to fit with our philosophy of best-evidenced medicine.
Medical Non Dr
Contact us for