Medicine In The Jungle 2019 // Our Next CME Adventure Holiday
Bukit Lawang, Sumatra September 29th til October 5th
NO PLACES AVAILABLE for 2019
Please contact us for information about 2020.
Intrepid Medicine in the Jungle 2019:
A Medical Conference that is more than Education it's an Adventure
Be prepared to be wild and active....
A Medical Conference that is more than education it's rejuvenation.
An Adventure that returns you to your workplace relaxed and ready to give your best.
An Adventure Holiday + CME that gives you time to unwind, rewild and reconnect to what's important.
"DARE TO BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
We will be staying in Bukit Lawang, a small village on the edge of the Gunung Leuser National Park.
- Rooms are basic, with mosquito nets, open-air bathrooms and comfortable beds.
- Experience great food and the friendliest people in Sumatra to look after us during our stay.
All delegates and their partners are welcome and included in all activities whilst at Bukit Lawang. Partners are welcome at most conference sessions and are actively encouraged to attend sessions which interest them.
- Transfers to and from Medan airport
- Accommodation 6 nights in Bukit Lawang
- Food - most meals will be provided while staying in Bukit Lawang, lunch will be provided on treks and at Base Camp
- Water refills bring your own reusable water bottle
- Conference for Delegates - medical and non-medical
- Activities for non-delegates
What’s not included
- Personal spending money
- Gratuities for staff, guides, drivers, porters
- Beverages Alcohol, Soft drink, Juice
- Extra activities outside of those covered by the conference
Medicine in the Jungle 2019 is limited to just 30 spaces
If you wish to bring your children - please contact us directly
For more information on Bukit Lawang and the local area check out our host's website
Proposed Medicine in the Jungle Program 2019
Sunday Sept 29th - Saturday October 5th
Approved For 24 hours CME with ACEM and RNZCGP and 20 hours with RNZCUC
Day 1 Sunday September 29th
- Arrive Medan airport
- Pick up by local BL driver to drive to Bukit Lawang
- Stay at Green Hill Guest House ( or other similar accommodation )
- Welcome evening at Green Hill Guest House
Day 2 Monday September 30th
- Half day trekking and rafting
- 1:00pm Jungle ecosystems: Wildlife and Human Diseases
"Keeping the Wildlife Wild" - Andrea Molyneaux MScc, MRSB owner of Green Hill Guest House and Kuta Langis Base Camp and holds a Masters Degree in Primate Conservation
- Viruses: Monkeys versus Humans
- Local Population Health: North Sumatra
- 4:00pm Environmental medical hazards in the tropical jungle environment - Dr. Brad Hulcombe FRNZCUC, DiMM
Day 3 Tuesday October 1st
- Delegates travel to Base Camp 30min drive
- 10:00am Tropical Medicine
- Snakebite envenomation and management
- Leeches: the pros and cons
- Foot health in the tropics
- Infectious diarrhea from wilderness travel
- Heat Exhaustion
Lunch at Base Camp
- 1:00pm Disaster and Relief Medicine
- Enabling the locals after volcanoes, earthquakes and tsunamis
- 3:00 Return to Bukit Lawang
Partners Day - Village activity - ½ day village walking tour,village becak tour, cooking class, market
Day 4 Wednesday October 2nd
- All travel to Base Camp
- 10:00am Ethnobotany - natural and local pharmaceutical agents
- a Traditional versus Western perspective
- Taming the ED jungle: dealing with difficult patients
- 1:00pm Tropical Travel Medicine
- Advice for travelers to tropical countries - malaria, dengue, zika, chikungunya
- Advice for returning travelers from tropical countries
- Motor cycle accidents - issues around trauma while traveling in developing countries
3:00pm Return to Bukit Lawang
Day 5 Thursday October 3rd
- All travel to Base Camp
- 10:00am Jungle Medicine toolkit and trek survival
- First aid in the jungle
- 1:00pm What happens when the Doctor gets sick or injured
Return to Bukit Lawang
Day 6 Friday October 4th
- Full day trek from Bukit Lawang or Base Camp
- Wilderness Medical Scenarios: recognising traditional medicinal plants,
- Wilderness Medical Scenarios: - getting the injured/ sick person out the of jungle
Day 7 Saturday October 5th
- Leave Bukit Lawang
Return transfer to Medan airport
All sessions, times, content and locations are subject to change depending on the local conditions - We are in the jungle be prepared for last minute changes.
As with all Intrepid Medical Conferences we ask each delegate to prepare a 15 min presentation on a topic of their choice related to the conference content. It doesn’t have to directly be about jungle medicine.
Our conferences are Sponsor Free. The cost of the conference is not endorsed or subsidised by other companies such as pharmaceuticals. This is a deliberate decision, in order to fit with our philosophy of best-evidenced medicine.
Medical Non Dr
Contact us for